I am currently working on rigging my main character for my film (along with other things) the top pictures shows an image of it being rigged, since this picture was taken I have made some significant progress. This currently is the most complex rig I have created. This is because I want to be able to get the best deformation and the best animation out of it possible. I’m hoping to make sure it lasts and can stand the animation I put it through, one thing in this rig that I haven’t done before was to created a FK/IK switch for the arms, I have also added to functions that I have done before, such as created sticky association curves for the IK points.
One thing I am also doing with this rig, is going into the Mel Scripter and creating custom tools to make the process faster and more efficient. This has lead to a few problems, but eventually they have been sorted! It is a complex and detailed process’s, but thanks to the use of good tutorials, and forums like I have spoken about before they were solved.
One problem I am suffering from on my laptop is the hyper shade, whenever I try to make connection in the hyper shade, my computer seems to have a little melt-down, and maya crashes. This got in the way for a bit until I thought it would be easier to transfer over the file and work in these progresses from another computer, This meant my files had to be well organized, but in the end worked out for the better.
Here is my fully textures character for my main film, I tried to keep all the saturation and tone of the colours similar to get that feel across, but due to the nature of the film and the emotion that I have in it I wanted to make his eyes stand out a bit, so I made them a bright blue!
Obviously the images here arent renders or lit so they wont be as prestine as they could be. So far i am very happy with my character, I especially like the redness of his nose, I hope this helps portray his situation of being out in the cold. One of the things I’m not to keen on is the waist band of the jumper, I feel I could do that a little better!
I have included teeth in this character, which is a first, before this I have never dabbled into the inside of a mouth, (he has no tongue though), this is because there isn’t really a point in the film where he opens his mouth wide, so I thought it unnecessary.
These pictures show that the main parts of the characters have been fully texture mapped, the top image is for the main mesh, which took a little whilst to get right (but was helped massively by the the software UV LAYOUT) and the coat and the hat was relativity easy.
The last image shows the ambient occlusion map (which, in Photoshop I mapped over the colour map, the normal map, and the specular map)
I havent uploaded work progress in a while so here is a bit, this the main character model for my 3 minute film. Fully modeled. I am very happy with the topology, its a big improvement on what I have done before, however, I feel if I had the time, I would go over particular body parts again and work on them. As I have gained some useful tricks to create even better topology.
The reason the two pictures are different is to show and separate the different meshes. The top model shows just the base mesh, but the bottom contains the; Hat (which will be parented to the head), the Coat which will be simulated after the animation, and the eyes and the teeth, which will obviously be different meshes.!
Apart from cg, ‘3D world’ world journals and magazines, I have also been looking at graphic design ones. One thing that I really like is packaging, which is why also I have look at Ale bottles. Ale bottles and bottle caps really interest me. Their designs (usually) are very nice. It made me think how design honestly does help me choose whether I buy a product or not.
It has made me think a little about how I will makret and advertise my film when its finish, with a poster, and things like a DVD cover.
This isnt the video I was looking for, but its equally interesting. The video I found interviews two men that worked on creating a fat simulation that sits under the skin for Azog. Weta Digital currently its my favourite VFX company, every since LOTR (when they were created) they have boomed and been at the forefront of their field.
Mr. Fredrickson - UP
After working on my character, it was brought to my attention that colour-wise ‘The Violinist’ looks a bit like Mr. Fredrickson. I tried to keep my colours rather natural, un-vibrant to represent how worn-down and tired he is. (Soon I will upload images and bits from the film). One way my guy is also a but familiar is a big nose!